Monday, October 8, 2012

quick...i need string and a door knob!

kids are weird.  and unpredictable.  and each one, so very unique.

austin & carson have never really minded losing teeth.

jordan & hudson would let their loose teeth get to the point of barely hanging on and then SCREAM AND CRY AND FIGHT LIKE WILD CATS if i dared try to even look.

i don't remember what i was like with my teeth.  i DO remember that one winter morning i was following my brother around the yard in the snow.  he had a sled.  and i was his shadow.  and he kicked off to jump on that sled and knocked both of my two front teeth out.  remember it like it was yesterday.  the blood.  the snow.  the freaked out babysitter.  we found one of the teeth.  i wrote the tooth fairy a note regarding the other tooth.  and my brother will never live the story down about how he kicked his poor baby sister's front teeth out.

hudson lost one of his top two front teeth awhile back.  the second one has just been HANGING there and i have tried to secretly get it out while he sleeps.  but he's a light sleeper and it hasn't worked.

this morning, at the crack of dawn, he came in my room sobbing.  HIS GUM WAS BLEEDING and he was afraid the tooth was coming out.  he was so freaked out by the amount of blood in his mouth that he didn't even really notice when i just grabbed the tooth and yanked it out.  he was so relieved.  so glad that it was just GONE.

almost immediately the tears stopped and were replaced by a silly toothless grin.

he got loaded up on the school bus and i headed out for a walk.  it's cool here.  the air is crisp.  and my mind feels sharp.  something about autumn just makes me feel so alive.

while i walked i couldn't help think about hudson and his tooth.  

what IS it about children and those pesky teeth?  he'd rather have the thing dangling...and not be able to eat the things he really wants to eat...poor kid has been living off spaghetti-o's just so he doesn't have to use his front teeth to bite into anything...when if he would have just DEALT WITH IT, the pain would have been over and he could once again enjoy the things in life that he loves.  NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT HE LOOKED ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS with this ONE TOOTH JUST HANGING THERE.

i feel like hudson right now.   i'm 'holding on' to things that i need to let go of.  things that are hindering me from living life to it's fullest.  i don't just want spaghetti-o's.  i want to chew life up.  digest all the great stuff that is out there.  and i DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE A MORON with my metaphorical tooth just sitting there hanging on for dear life.

i'm feeling brave.  someone pass me some string.  i'm ready.


1 comment:

stephanie h said...

Have I told you lately, that you ROCK? Seriously, you're awesome and I'm handing you some string, I think I'll keep a piece for me too, friend. : )