Thursday, November 22, 2012

30 days of thanksgiving, DAY 22, TURKEY DAY

truth be told, i have woken up SEVERAL times this morning.  first when carson climbed into bed to snuggle with me at some ungodly hour of the morning.  then again when he was snoring in my ear.  then again when he kicked me in the side...you get the idea.  at one point he was sleeping so peacefully (and i was not) that i actually reached over to grab my phone and took a pic...at least ONE of us was sleeping.

but when i actually INTENTIONALLY woke up it was to turn on the macy's day thanksgiving parade.  

my sweet future daughter in law RACHEL is marching in it this morning.  keep your eyes out for the OAK RIDGE HIGH SCHOOL MARCHING BAND.  have fun rach!!!!  i can only IMAGINE you in new york city.  the big apple will never be the same.  you need to meet my future adopted (daughter) jovan.  the two of you would have so much fun together LOL.

anyhow, minutes into the parade THE SESAME STREET float came through.  BIG BIRD!!!!!!!

and it made me smile.  you see, BIG BIRD has ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS reminded me of my grandmother on my father's side.  and for the longest time i couldn't figure out WHY.  i mean, seriously????

but then at some point the memories came together.  grandma loved to swim.  and she had lots of bathing caps she'd wear.  the one i OBVIOUSLY remember the most was a yellow flower petal one.  and THERE YOU GO.  grandma = big bird.  forever in my mind.

it's a happy memory.  a memory that makes me smile.  my brother says that i sound just like my grandma when we talk on the phone.  that i have the same vocal inflections.  my grandma liked to laugh.  

i am thankful for memories.  thankful for family.  

thankful that today i get to make some NEW memories with my own kids.

happy thanksgiving to all.  have a beautiful, blessed day.

and just because this is what i woke up to:  carson passed out on my HOT PINK pillow.  weird lighting but sweet pic.  love this boy.  

No comments: